We may not all appreciate the chilly weather, but the enticing aromas of autumn are definitely worth looking forward to. Seductive notes of vanilla, warm brown sugar and the fresh, juicy taste of crisp apple are all bound to stir up some deep-seated, childhood nostalgia of apple picking and jumping into piles of leaves that crunch under your boots. Whip up your own mix of fall delicacies with these tasty recipes, sure to be a hit at any festive seasonal gathering!
1. Spice Cake
Spice cake may look more difficult to bake than your average sugar cookie, but it’s one of those harvest-time baked goods that should never be passed over for something simpler. You’ll be well-rewarded for your efforts with a rich, fluffy cake that absolutely melts on your tongue. Short on ingredients? Use a Peapod promo code to get savings on those hard-to-find ingredients.
2.5 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup milk
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
1. Place oven rack in middle position. Preheat to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour 9 x 13 inch pan.
2.Mix dry ingredients and spices in a large bowl.
3. Whisk milk, eggs and vanilla extract in separate bowl.
4. Beat softened butter into dry ingredients. Slowly add the milk mixture, 1/3 at a time. Add sugar and beat until batter is smooth.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, let cool and frost however your heart desires. Enjoy!
2. Spiked Cider
No football tailgate or Halloween party would be complete without a hot drink that warms our chilled bones and heightens our spirits! This cider packs some punch, so make sure the kiddies don’t grab a hold of it!
2 cups apple cider
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup peach Schnapps
1/4 cup Triple Sec
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup golden rum (optional)
1. Pour all ingredient into saucepan
2. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
3. Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
Some people are pretty serious about designing pumpkins. Use a BHG Holiday coupon code to get a Dremel Pumpkin Power Kit for less! Ever wonder what to do with the scooped-out innards of your jack-o-lantern? This nutritious and delicious treat is sure to be a snack-time hit.
1.5 tbs margarine, melted
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 pinch of chili powder (optional)
2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat over to 275 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients and mix together in a baking dish.
3. Bake for 1 hour, and stir occasionally.
What are your favorite never-fail fall recipes? Share your tips in the comments box below!